Monday, August 2, 2010

Crazy what a day will bring...

Some of you may know of our dear, dear friends Justin and Libby Ryder. They are the area directors of Young Life Chesapeake, the ministry our family has come to know and love this past year. From the moment we met them, we pretty much adopted them. Needless to say, we have grown very close to them as a family and they mean so much to us.
While I just love Justin and Ava to death,  I have especially come to cherish Libby. As many of you know, Libby Wratten Griswold and I were extreamly close. She was my big sissie, my role model and my friend. And when she died 6 years ago, I swore nobody would ever fill that space again. My heart was broken, I didn't understand why God took her from me, and have never felt so alone. Even though I have my family, there is nothing like a big sister....

So when I met Libby Ryder, I couldn't believe how much I gravitated towards her, despite her having the same name as my dear Libby Griswold. She was a complete stranger to me, yet for some reason I felt so attatched to her. All I wanted to do was serve her, be with her, and love on her. Six years after my sweet Libby Griswold went to be with the Lord, I now see that God brought me another big sister! I never expected it to happen, but it did. Since then,we have had so many wonderful afternoons together!  I come to help her clean, she counseles me and encourages me in areas of life, and our tradition has become getting those yummy peanut butter shakes from Sonic....we both LOVE peanut butter ;)
So, when I found out last week that now my sweet sis has lymphoma (cancer in her lymph nodes) I went numb, and couldn't believe what I had just heard.
My first thought was, "God, don't take her from me please! I can't go through this again!"

Dear friends, God hears our prayers. While we are still unsure about the exact details of Lib's cancer, I have never felt so much peace. I am not anxious for her, for I know that she is resting in the hands of our Almighty God and that He is so faithful!!! I believe with my whole heart that my Savior Jesus is the most faithful God and that no matter what, He is carrying me and my loved ones through everything...
The verse I have been clinging to throughout this trial has been 1 Kings 8:56-

“Praise be to the Lord, who has given rest to his people Israel just as he promised. Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses..."

I am daily reminded of the faithfulness of God, that never, ever, ever changes. He has never failed even a single word of al His promises, and He certainly won't start now! I can't even tell you how much peace and comfort this has brought me amidst the sadness and pain that I'm also experiencing. He is so good!
Thank you so so much for your prayers. God bless you all!




No comments: