Sunday, February 26, 2012

"That's What I Love about Sundays..."

Well, it's another Sunday! The best day of the week...

Or at least, that's what I am trying to work on saying.

I've been thinking about this alot lately. Sundays. The Sabbath. The day of rest. Friends, I am telling you right now, I kind of dread Sundays sometimes. I am the world's biggest procrastinator, so Sundays equal tons of homework. I enjoy sleeping in, so Sundays equal me being grumpy as I get up early for church. I enjoy hanging out with people and just "chillin'" on Sunday evenings, yet all I can think of is the fact that I have to get up for school the next morning. Sundays can be very stressful for me.
Yet like I said, I have been thinking about it alot, praying about it, and have even been provoked by some sermons at church regarding fiercely guarding this holy day. Sundays have been set aside from the beginning of time as a holy day. The day that God our father rested. He didn't need the rest. He's God for goodness sakes! So why did He?
I truly believe it's because He knew where our society would end up: a people obsessed with progress, always rushing, always invloved in 20 different things at one time, forever running here for this meeting, then going to this social event, then home to grab a change of clothes, onl to run out hte door ten minutes later for another evening function. It's literally insane!! I myself am caught up in it sadly. I am driven by progress and visable results. I cannot sit for 5 minutes on the couch without that thought of "I totall shouldn't be sitting down right now. There's definitely something "prodictive" I can be doing." My life is a circus of school, friends, studying, working out, calling people, and staying busy busy busy all the time. Friends, it is overwhelming. Any of you feeling me right now? Take a look at your day. What things do you fill it with?
I have been feeling the Spirit ust convicting me about how vital it is that I guard my Sundays. He calls us to follow His example, and take 1 day...ust 1 day out of our weeks (that leaves 6 for productivity btw) to just stop. Stop the chaos. Stop the rushing. Stop the never ending flow of distractions and worries and stresses from work. God knew we would need a day to re-vamp, re-vitalize, re-fresh ourselves. It is OKAY to rest people! It is not a BAD THING to enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee, or sit down and talk with your family in the living room for awhile. It's not lazy to go sit outside on your porch swing and read a book. The Lord wants us to get away from all the chaos. He is calling us to shut it off for a littel portion of our week, and focus our attention back onto what really matters: His love for us. His peace that He has for us. His blessings. How He always looking out for us. Think on that for a bit.

SO I encourage you to join me! I am determined to make Sunday my day of rest. Yes, I will have to make a few adjustments such as doing my homework on Saturday, getting the laundry and cleaning done, and whatever else I may need done. I am gonna turn my phone off, hide my school books out of sight, and turn my computer off. But then Sunday, I am going to wake up a little later, go and worship the Lord with God's people, go out to lunch with friends, come home, take a nap, maybe read a book. Then I'll go on a long, leisurely walk and then end the day with a wonderful family dinner. What are you going to do with your day of rest?

Hebrews 4:9-11
 There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall through following the same example of disobedience.

Exodus 33:14
And He said, "My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest."

Mark 6:31
And He said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a lonely place and rest a while." For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.






Isaiah 57:1-2
The righteous man perishes, and no man takes it to heart; And devout men are taken away, while no one understands. For the righteous man is taken away from evil, He enters into peace; They rest in their beds, Each one who walked in his upright way.





This song describes our day of rest perfectly...enjoy!!




Raymond's in his Sunday best

He's usually up to his chest in oil and grease

There's the Martin's walkin' in

With that mean little freckle-faced kid

Who broke a window last week



Sweet Miss Betty likes to sing off key

In the pew behind me



That's what I love about Sunday

Sing along as the choir sways

Every verse of Amazin' Grace

And then we shake the Preacher's hand



Go home, into your blue jeans

Have some chicken and some baked beans

Pick a back yard football team

Nothin' much of anything

That's what I love about Sunday



I stroll to the end of the drive

Pick up the Sunday Times

Grab a coffee cup


It looks like Sally and Ron

Finally tied the knot

Well, it's about time



It's 35 cents off a ground round

Baby, cut that coupon out



That's what I love about Sunday

Cat-napping on the porch swing

You curled up next to me

The smell of jasmine wakes us up



Take a walk down a back road

Tackle box and a cane pole

Carve our names in that white oak

And steal a kiss as the sun fades

That's what I love about Sunday, oh yeah



Oh, new believers gettin' baptized

Mommas hands raised up high

Havin' a Hallelujah good time

A smile on everybody's face

That's what I love about Sunday, oh yeah





No comments: